A Music Memoir in 12 Questions

With all the 80s fun I’ve been having recently, I’ve been able to listen to music I grew up with. Whether it was Toto, Peter Gabriel or (God forbid) Air Supply, there are a lot of songs that have somehow influenced my taste in music today, which is a tad eclectic.

A couple of weeks ago, Clay at Educlaytion put together an Interview with You post. I’m stealing his idea and applying it to music.

The Best Ever Rockumentary

Here’s how A Music Memoir in 12 Questions works. In the comments section below, please cut and paste these 12 questions, then fill in your answers. Feel free to elaborate.

But first, here is my music memoir:

1. First concert: Genesis
  2. First album: Bryan Adams’ Cuts Like a Knife
  3. Favourite concert memory: Being surprised with front row tickets to Bryan Adams in 1985 (by my older sister who told me we had oxygen-tank seats)
  4. Song you love to hate: Anything by Celine Dion, especially My Heart Will Go On
  5. Song you hate to love: The Gambler, by Kenny Rogers
  6. Song you know all the words to: Pink Houses, by John Mellencamp
  7. Song that makes you cry: Gabriel’s Oboe (off the soundtrack for The Mission) and Don’t Give Up (Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush)
  8. Song that makes you move: Any song playing in my kitchen makes me dance, but to be sure, anything off Bruce Springsteen’s Live in Dublin CD set
  9. Song you remember dancing to: Stairway to Heaven in Junior High (unfortunately) and Van Morrison’s Have I Told You Lately That I Love You (fortunately)
  10. Favourite cover of a song: Hallelujah (by k.d. lang) and Angel from Montgomery (by Ben Harper as well as Leslie Spit Treeo)
  11. Karaoke song: I don’t do karaoke. Yet. But I’d say Leather and Lace, by Don Henley and Stevie Nicks
  12. Last concert: Katie Perry at Oprah (unplanned), and Matt Andersen in December (planned)

Once again, to play along, cut and past these questions into the comments section below (or on your own blog if you wish) and fill in. Here’s a blank set of the questions:

1. First concert:
  2. First album:
  3. Favourite concert memory:
  4. Song you love to hate:
  5. Song you hate to love:
  6. Song you know all the words to:
  7. Song that makes you cry:
  8. Song that makes you move:
  9. Song you remember dancing to:
  10. Favourite cover of a song:
  11. Karaoke song:
  12. Last concert:

Enjoy the flashback.

Comments

All right, all right! I didn’t play Clay’s little game, but I’ll try yours, even though it seems even harder!

1. First concert: Andy Gibb
    2. First album: Sean Cassidy
    3. Favourite concert memory: Watching people pass around a marijuana cigarette at Andy Gibb (I was about 9 years old), and having it land at me and having no idea what to do with it. Awkward. I just passed it along. Smoking pot at an Andy Gibb concert? Really?
    4. Song you love to hate: I’m with you on that My Heart Goes On wreck. But I always substitue these words which make it slightly more enjoyable. “Near, Far, Kareem Abdul-Jabar.” Thank to my husband for that.
    5. Song you hate to love: Maniac. I loved my leg warmers.
    6. Song you know all the words to: Anything ever written by Crosby, Still & Nash.
    7. Song that makes you cry: “Edge of Seventeen” by Stevie Nicks.
    8. Song that makes you move: It doesn’t take much to make me move. I have been known to dance on tables and hydraulic lifts.
    9. Song you remember dancing to: “Maybe it was the Roses” Grateful Dead
    10. Favourite cover of a song: Not a big fan of the cover.
    11. Karaoke song: “Landslide” during which I become Stevie Nicks. Or one Dixie Chick.
    12. Last concert: Fleetwood Mac (last May), Crosby & Nash (in April), Steely Dan (in June).

• says

I am so stealing “Near Far, Kareem Abdul Jabar.” I like to sing in my Grover voice. Do you remember Grover doing prepositions on Sesame Street: Near/Far. If I had more energy, I’d do a mash up between the Grover spot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FZN-vpWKOc) and Dion’s song. But then I’d have to listen to the latter.

And I watched Flashdance on VHS in slow mo trying to copy the moves in Maniac. Sigh. I assure you that was a while ago. At least last week.

1.First concert: WHAM! at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia (chaperoned by my father)
    2.First album: “Voulez-vous” by ABBA
    3.Favourite concert memory: dont have many… umm… Genesis probably, at the Spectrum in Philadelphia.
    4.Song you love to hate: anything by Tom Jones
    5.Song you hate to love: ABBA – “Dancing Queen”
    6.Song you know all the words to: All songs of the musicals “Les Miserables”, “Phantom of the Opera”, “Cats”, and “Mamma Mia”
    7.Song that makes you cry: “On My Own” from Les Mis and “Imagine” by John Lennon
    8.Song that makes you move: Avril Lavigne’s “Sk8ter Boi”
    9.Song you remember dancing to: The Beatles’ “Something” – first dance at my wedding
    10.Favourite cover of a song: ??
    11.Karaoke song: don’t do karaoke either… but…maybe something fun by the Beatles?
    12.Last concert: Rolling Stones open air in Zurich in 2007 (or was it 2006?)

• says

You went to Wham with your dad? I’m pretty sure my dad thinks wham is what happens if you brake too late on slippery roads.

Imagine can make me tear up. Sarah McLachlan has a great cover of it, too.

And the Beatles: always classic.

How about wedding song? “I’ll Stand By You” by The Pretenders.

I think my first album (cassette tape format) was Sport by Huey Lewis and the News.

I’ll go with your covers. Great choices. Didn’t kd Lang sing that at the opening ceremony? It was amazing.

• says

Love Chrissie Hynde’s voice. Love that song. Great choice.

Yes, kd sang Hallelujah at the opening ceremonies. I melted. I only have about 5 covers of that song on my iPod (kd, Jeff Buckley, Bono, Rufus Wainwright (think Shrek), and Sheryl Crow. Not to mention the original: Leonard Cohen).
      I started weeping on Christmas Eve two years ago when that song (instrumental only) was played on a grand piano at Christmas Eve service. Sobbing me.

I’m loving these posts letting me talk about myself across the internet and not just on my own blog.

1. First concert: Cowboy Mouth. I went to a citywide musicfest and they were one of the first bands I saw live. I still have a soft spot for drummer/lead singer bands.
    2. First album: My first cassette I ever bought with my own money was Green Day’s “Dookie”.
    3. Favourite concert memory:When I went to a YoungLife concert of some fella named Bebo Norman. I didn’t realize I was about to fall in love with his music until he played the first guitar riff of his opening song.
    4. Song you love to hate:All things Britney Spears.
    5. Song you hate to love:”Poker Face” by Lady Gaga. But then again, I’m pretty sure Idina Mendel’s performance of it on Glee has something to do with that.
    6. Song you know all the words to: Sir Mix-a-Lot’s “Baby Got Back.” It was my high school soccer team’s pump-up anthem for three seasons.
    7. Song that makes you cry: Almost any hymn. I’m a sucker for four-part harmonies.
    8. Song that makes you move: Anything with a beat, most recently, The Rescues, “All I Want is You”.
    9. Song you remember dancing to: The Eagles, “Desperado” in junior high with a boy I had a mad crush on. My husband is appalled I didn’t mention “By Your Side” by Sade, the First Dance song at our wedding.
    10. Favourite cover of a song: John Mayer’s version of “The Wind Cries Mary” comes to mind.
    11. Karaoke song: Because I can’t sing, I go for the rap songs. Preferably Vanilla Ice, “Ice Ice Baby” or anything by The Beastie Boys.
    12. Last concert: Third Day/Glory Revealed.

And many of these answers are dependent on the fact that today is Friday, or maybe because I had an extra large cup of coffee this morning, or maybe because I’m wearing red…
    Regardless, that was fun!

• says

Four part harmony has me reaching for the tissues too. And I love how you brought up your soccer warm up tune. I still remember doing lay-ups to Spirit in the Sky (Doctor and the Medics).

You’re right: I suspect most of our answers would change on the day of the week, or our caffeine intake. Thanks for commenting!

5. Ruthless says

1. First concert: Rush (went with a guy I’d met at a summer drama camp. We ate some hash brownies which weren’t very good and I spent the night trying to fight off his advances. No fun was had!)
    2. First album: Supertramp – Crime of the Century (sorry I was a teenager in the 70′s, but still think that Crime of the Century and Crisis, what Crisis? are two of the best albums ever)
    3. Favourite concert memory: Don’t have one. I think that seeing Supertramp in 1979 at the Northlands Coliseum WOULD have been the concert of a lifetime. I had a seat in the 13th row, but agreed to carry some alcohol in for my friend. We made a pact to share the cost of any IP ticket. However, the cop who found the not so well disguised mickey decided to ‘revoke’ my ticket! My friends had the time of their life and I was never the same.
    4. Song you love to hate: Pokerface by Lady Gaga
    5. Song you hate to love: Play that Funky Music, White Boy (I think the band’s name was Wild Cherry) Man, I’m old.
    6. Song you know all the words to: Anything from Supertramp’s Crime of the Century, Crisis, What Crisis?, Even in the Quietest Moments or Breakfast in America.
    7. Song that makes you cry: Blackbird – K.D. Lang’s version
    8. Song that makes you move: L.A. Woman by Billy Idol
    9. Song you remember dancing to: Billy Idol’s White Wedding
    10. Favourite cover of a song: ??
    11. Karaoke song: New York, New York by Frank Sinatra
    12. Last concert:

I’m a little bit nuts on music…I was married to a radio DJ for several years and saw many, many concerts…miss those freebies! Check out the posts in my music category on my blog if you have a chance…

Genesis was my first concert too, Leanne (Exhibition Place, Toronto – 1981). I was in love with Bryan Adams since I first saw him on the Alan Thicke Show in 1980 (I saw him live in Moncton in 1984). Matt Andersen is amazing…I’ve seen him live at least six times.

1.First concert: Genesis – Abacab.
    2.First album: K-Tel’s 22 Explosive Hits (1970?)
    3.Favourite concert memory: Seeing the Eagles and John Fogerty at Magnetic Hill in Moncton with 90,000 people in 2008. Neil Young at Harbour Station in Saint John in 2009 was awesome too!
    4.Song you love to hate: Beyonce – “Put a Ring on It” GAG!
    5.Song you hate to love: Rick Springfield, “Jessie’s Girl”
    6.Song you know all the words to: The entire Fleetwood Mac “Rumours” album.
    7.Song that makes you cry: Carole King “So Far Away”
    8.Song that makes you move: Jenn Grant “Getcha Good”
    9.Song you remember dancing to: Stray Cats “Stray Cat Strut”
    10.Favourite cover of a song: Melanie Doane/Jim Cuddy “Songbird” originally sung by Fleetwood Mac
    11.Karaoke song: Tanya Tucker “Delta Dawn”
    12.Last concert: Goo Goo Dolls (scored free tickets!). Before that, we saw Classic Albums Live’s tribute to The Who

Wendy

• says

I think we are music sisters. I do. Jim Cuddy’s voice is another one that makes me swoon, though not as much as Matt Andersen. And I think I remember trying to jive to Stray Cat Strut. Actually, I think it was the swing. Ballroom Dancing for me = not the best memories.

• says

Oooh…dances with steps…very, very bad! Having a flashback to 2006 and trying to learn the tango with my ex-boyfriend…an hour-an-a-half of pure torture! It probably didn’t help that we were both trying to lead…

• says

Wendy, I think we need to set a date and write companion pieces on Ballroom Dancing. The thing is, I love to dance, more so now that I’m older (gasp!) and don’t care. But you’re right: dances with steps? To quote the Yip Yip Martians on Sesame Street: nope nope nope nope nope.

• says

K-Tel’s 22 Explosive Hits was one of my favorites! I think it was actually 1972. I could probably still name at least 16 of the 22 songs on that album. What memories!

• says

Larry: I was really happy to find the album in my mom’s stuff after she passed away in 2007…I brought it home with me!

I played it all the time, although after Googling it, I think I probably listened to Side 1 a lot more often than Side 2 (you were correct…it was 1972). “Popcorn” was certainly a “one-of-a-kind” song…

Wendy

• says

I just noticed that there were actually two slightly different versions of that LP – a US version and a Canadian version. Though it’s a great tune, Dead Skunk wasn’t on either version. Even Ahab the Arab didn’t make it…

Love it. I’m in.
    1. Dashboard Confessional
    2. Michael Jackson, Thriller.
    3. The Flaming Lips when Wayne Coyne threw himself on the crowd while in a bubble.
    4. Chumbawamba, I Get Knocked Down.
    5. Katy Perry, I Kissed A Girl
    6. Every song I like. I have an excellent memory.
    7. Brad Paisley, He Didn’t Have To Be
    8. Big Poppa by Notorious B.I.G.
    9. R. Kelly, I Believe I Can Fly, my first slow-dance.
    10. Ellie Goulding, Your Song by Elton John
    11. To Make You Feel My Love, the Adele version
    12. I was at Austin City Limits 2010 so my last concert was really like 20 concerts, but the last show I went to was The Flaming Lips.

• says

Is there a better band name than The Flaming Lips? I used to love the Crash Test Dummies years ago, as much for their name as for the lead singer’s basser than bass voice.

Your choices are so much cooler than mine. Sigh.

Hot child of the city, I am not.

Here I go IM… blasting back to past … the not so distant past

1.First concert: Deftones. It was awesome. I was only 14?
    2.First album: George Straight … I was born country
    3.Favourite concert memory: I love just the atmosphere. Everyone jumping and singing along. No one particular sticks out
    4.Song you love to hate: Any by Rush …. ugggg
    5.Song you hate to love: Ring My Bell Anita Ward
    6.Song you know all the words to: Rappers Delight by Sugarhill Gang
    7.Song that makes you cry: Dying-Hole
    8.Song that makes you move: Staying Alive=Bee Gees
    9.Song you remember dancing to: Itty Bitty- Alan Jackson
    10.Favourite cover of a song: Anya Marina- Whatever You Like
    11.Karaoke song: Vanilla Ice – Ice Ice Baby
    12.Last concert:John Anderson

• says

Now Ring My Bell is stuck in my head. Reminds me of my British friend, who always used to sing that.

I can’t say I ever grew to appreciate Rush either.

Maybe next life.

Not sure about that, Leanne for two reasons:
    a) I’ve tried to leave most of my exes out of my blog
    b) I’m not sure if that one tango lesson is enough to build a whole post on

Let me think about it…I’ll get back to you…

Wendy

• says

Actually, that’s a good point regarding exes. Maybe that stone’s better left unturned. (Although I must say that dancing lessons with my DH weren’t exactly the best thing ever!)

1.First concert: Supertramp
    2.First album: Cornerstone by Styx
    3.Favourite concert memory: Gladys Knight – tremendous soul and stage presence!
    4.Song you love to hate: The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down by The Band
    5.Song you hate to love: Loser by Beck
    6.Song you know all the words to: Just about any classic rock song from the 70′s or 80′s
    7.Song that makes you cry: Not sure why, but the beginning of You Can’t Always Get What You Want by The Rolling Stones, when the horn plays, always gets me choked up
    8.Song that makes you move: Unchained by Van Halen
    9.Song you remember dancing to: When Something Is Wrong With My Baby by Sam & Dave (my wedding song!)
    10.Favourite cover of a song: You Really Got Me by Van Halen
    11.Karaoke song: Sorry, ain’t enough alcohol in the world could get me to do karaoke…
    12.Last concert: Switchfoot – awesome!

• says

Styx, Van Halen, Supertramp, Gladys Knight: classic, Larry. And the next time you hear The Band playing The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, send it my way.

I think there are a lot of who have never done karaoke. I’m not ruling it out, though, because if I can post 80s photos of myself, I’m not above embarrassing myself in public.

11. Vicki says

I am a music illiterate, so I am going to skip the poll, but I just have to say, I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face after watching the video of KD’s “Hallelujah” – (and not because of her questionable ensemble and bare foot performance!) Such an beautiful song, such a moving rendition. Waving my “Canadian Artists Rule” flag high!

• says

KD does amazing with covers. Actually, Leonard Cohen said that her version is his favourite. She does a great rendition of Helpless too. Stirs the soul.

1.First concert: 13AD (It is okay to ask “Huh! Who?”
    2.First album: Arrival – Abba
    3.Favourite concert memory: Running around the grounds playing train
    4.Song you love to hate: My Heart Will Go On – Celine Dion
    5.Song you hate to love: – Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Yellow Polka Dot Bikini
    6.Song you know all the words to: – Ah! Too many.
    7.Song that makes you cry: Living Years – Mike & The Mechanics
    8.Song that makes you move: – Walk of life – Dire Straits/Beat It – MJ
    9.Song you remember dancing to: – Oh! No! All the MJ songs
    10.Favourite cover of a song: – Me and Bobby McGee – Janis Joplin’s version
    11.Karaoke song: – Nothing’s Gonna Change My Love For You – Glen Medirios
    12.Last concert: – Eric Clapton – Key Arena, Seattle

• says

A fantastic list, Vinay. I’ll bite, though, and say “Huh? Who?” with regards to 13AD.

Thanks for reminding me about The Living Years. It’s hard for me to think about that song without getting some sort of photo montage flipping through my brain.

Regarding your karaoke song, I remember when Nothing’s Gonna Change My Love For You came out. I couldn’t figure out the lyrics in one place, and thought Medirios was singing Ya-numma-numma-numma.

Clapton in Seattle? Fantastic!

Ironic Mom.. this is not an easy task. I had to sift through my itunes library.
    1.First concert: Billy Squier (I am not even quite sure where the concert was)
    2.First album:J Geils Band or the GoGos -
    3.Favourite concert memory: At the Queen concert, the big security guy comes and taps my shoulder to get off the chair. What about everyone else in my row? I saw and smelled stuff that night that was totally new to me.
    4.Song you love to hate: (i’m stumped)
    5.Song you hate to love: Milli Vanilli-Blame it on the Rain
    6.Song you know all the words to: (too many to list here)
    7.Songs that makes you cry: Dan Fogelberg’s Same Old lang syne, Longer and Motels’ Only the Lonely
    8.Song that makes you move: Anything top 40 (then and now)
    9.Song you remember dancing to: Black Eyed Peas Hey Ya –was pulled up on stage in Vegas to shake it. When I was younger.. Prince 1999
    10.Favourite cover of a song: ???
    11.Karaoke song: Captain and Tennille’s Love will keep us together
    12.Last concert: Prince at Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, MN. Best concert I have ever seen.We left dripping in sweat from dancing non stop.
    Meantime, it’s Saturday night and I am home on my computer!

• says

I’m trying to imagine a mash-up in my head of your first two albums: The Devil Went Down To Georgia in the background with the melody of We’ve Got the Beat.

And rest assured, I too am on my computer on Saturday night. Sigh.

So much fun reading all these comments – here I go:

1. First concert: Tori Amos
    2. First album: Wham ‘Make it Big’ on vinyl {hangs head in shame}
    3. Favourite concert memory: Not sure this counts – viewing on television the final night of The BBC proms in 2001. A few weeks after 9/11, an American conductor led the profoundly reflective Barber’s Adagio for Strings during this very traditional British concert series. It’s an extremely moving piece and by the end of it, he was in tears. So was I.
    4. Song you love to hate: Hanson – Mmmm Bop
    5. Song you hate to love: Eminem – Slim Shady
    6. Song you know all the words to: Seriously, you want me to choose just one? OK fine, everything by James Blunt
    7. Song that makes you cry: Louis Armstrong – What a Wonderful World
    8. Song that makes you move: Hot Chocolate – You Sexy Thing
    9. Song you remember dancing to: Jingle Bell Rock – during a choreographed routine with three girl friends in the 7th grade Christmas concert
    10. Favourite cover of a song: Tom Jones and Cerys Matthews – Baby it’s Cold Outside
    11. Karaoke song: Prince – Kiss (They call me Kiss Keene at the after the office karaoke party.)
    12. Last concert: Vanessa Carlton

1. First concert: New Kids on the Block (I was young…)
    2. First album: To you mean that I listened to, or “own”. I grew up listening to my parent’s records, my favorites: Star Wars soundtrack, The Moody Blues, The Beach Boy.. The first family tape: Thriller. My first CD..uh.. Paula Abdul’s Forever Your Girl was among it.
    3. Favourite concert memory: Metallica, Jan 1997 – we had forth row “seats” at the only non-general seating showing I ever attending of theirs. It was the first day I had removed my torture device (the figure 8 brace you wear for a broken collar bone) and I was very thankful for that fact. During this show I was given: a water cup by Kirk (after motioning I was thirsty), a guitar pick by James (I just reached for that one), and a drum stick by Lars – after mouthing “I love you!” to him and pantomiming drumming at him, he walked down the ramp and handed it to me. Best. Moment. Ever.
    4. Song you love to hate: Anything by Alanis Morrisette. Her voice is nails on a chalkboard to me.
    5. Song you hate to love: That “numa numa” Romanian song that went viral ages ago. It’s catchy.
    6. Song you know all the words to: “We Didn’t Start the Fire” Billy Joel
    7. Song that makes you cry: Hallelujah, or “Fly” by Celine Dion
    8. Song that makes you move: Most any “dance” music with a beat. Lady Gaga songs are very good at this. Also: Beautiful People by Marilyn Manson
    9. Song you remember dancing to: Almost everything with a dance beat – I love to dance. Highlights: Nothing Else Matters by Metallica for wedding dance, Big Spender from Sweet Charity for mini dance show, anything White Zombie on the back of my friend’s truck at the mall parking lot, and (most recently) performing Thriller at my gym: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxPnoGMToiQ (I’m the “dead” sorority girl in white)
    10. Favourite cover of a song: Hallelujah by Buckley, and Sweet Dreams by Marilyn Manson
    11. Karaoke song: Anything that doesn’t require actual singing (it’s better for the world that way), or something I can back-up dance to for the singer.
    12. Last concert: It’s been a very long time since I went to a big concert. I have a heart attack when I look at ticket prices. However, I love the Austin Celtic Music Festival and went there (alone) last November and saw many amazing musicians.

My musical tastes are a bit all over the board.. except for country music: no thank you.

You’ve got some moves. Love the Thriller video! I had forgotten about “We Didn’t Start the Fire.” Ten years ago, I used to have students research the references for a lesson on allusions. There’s a lesson plan from yesteryear!

Buckley’s Hallelujah also makes me swoon.

17. jthal says

Decided to use your quiz here as an impetus to restart my blogging, since I’ve been on hiatus for several months now…… thought this would be a fun way to do it. Hmmm, here goes….

First concert: Hmmm. I be thinking Def Leppard? In Wichita?!?
    First album: The first one I remember picking on my own was the Chipmunks’ Christmas Album. But if we’re talking about albums that we got with our own $$, I believe that would have to be “Music for the Masses” by Depeche Mode. (I waited til I was about 12 to buy my own music, as it apparently didn’t occur to me until then that I could actually develop my own personal tastes. And apparently, DM was my flavor of the month at the time. Tastes change, I suppose.)
    Favourite concert memory: Danny Schmidt at a friend’s house in Seattle – had just discovered his music recently and decided he was my favorite songwriter in the history of ever, and had the chance to actually meet him and I introduced him to the people who then ended up throwing a house concert with him as the headliner the next time he came to town … I got to be one of the opening “acts” and then we all got to hang out and jam with him after the show. So much better than Def Leppard.
    Song you love to hate: The Farmer in the Dell.
    Song you hate to love: “Live to Tell” by Madonna
    Song you know all the words to: Anything by Tom Lehrer (that’s important to know), pretty much anything by pre-Bill-Berry-departure-R.E.M.
    Song that makes you cry: “Famous Blue Raincoat” by Leonard Cohen… I still don’t quite understand what the song’s really about, but that doesn’t lessen its impact.
    Song that makes you move: “Shady Lane” by Pavement… I don’t dance, so awkward-lyric’d alt-rock seems proper for this particular physical impairment.
    Song you remember dancing to: YMCA. I barely remember it. (Probably a good thing.) I’ve never truly danced while sober, so this is the best answer I can come up with.
    Favourite cover of a song: Right now, it’s Gram Parsons’ “Hickory Wind” by Gillian Welch & Dave Rawlings… but that’ll probably change next week
    Karaoke song: Glory Days by Springsteen. That’s another one I barely remember. Drunk yet earnest American in a crowded Chinatown sushi joint makes for good entertainment any day.
    Last concert: Interestingly enough, Danny Schmidt, on a more recent visit through town. Didn’t jam with him this time, though.

18. danapronounceddonna says

1. First concert: Technically, the first concert I ever saw was a band that performed in my elementary school in about 1984; they were called something with the word “freeze” in the name. My first legit concert was the Monkees in 1986 when they came to Blossom Music Center with Weird Al.
    2. First album: “Songs from Saturday Night Fever” by The Kid Stuff Repertory Company was the first album I owned, and I think someone bought it for me around 1979 or 1980. The first album I remember buying is Paul McCartney’s Pipes of Peace.
    3. Favourite concert memory: My first Foo Fighters concert was so awesome! It was the summer of 2000, and they were touring with the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Dave Grohl loves to walk through the audience, and we were on the lawn at Blossom when he walked through the pavilion. When he got close to the back where the pavilion meets the lawn, everyone rushed forward to get close to him. He was standing on a garbage can playing his guitar, and I was within 10 feet of my hero! It was orgasmic.
    4. Song you love to hate: “Walking on Sunshine” by Katrina & the Waves
    5. Song you hate to love: Anything by Lady Gaga
    6. Song you know all the words to: Every song on Thriller
    7. Song that makes you cry: “Love is a Losing Game” by Amy Winehouse
    8. Song that makes you move: “Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough” by Michael Jackson
    9. Song you remember dancing to: Every Wednesday in my late 20s I went to The Chamber, a goth club that played 80s music on Wednesdays. I was always sloppy drunk, and when Iggy Pop’s “Lust for Life” (not an 80s song, but whatever!) came on, I was out on that dance floor. Once I got my Iggy tattoo on the right side of my body I lifted my shirt to show it off while I danced.
    10. Favourite cover of a song: Foo Fighters do a fucking kick-ass version of Prince’s “Darling Nikki”. Seriously. It’s hot. When Dave screams, it makes me moist. Yummy!
    11. Karaoke song: I think I only did karaoke once, and I’m pretty sure we did either “Love Shack” or “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun”.
    12. Last concert: Foo Fighters in September 2011—they get better every time I see them!

What I Like Is Sounds: http://whatilikeissounds.wordpress.com/