How To Use Math To Evaluate Your Week

It’s time to play “by the numbers,” an equation of types for reviewing your week. This is a fancy way of saying that Math + blogging = quick post. Much like tired mom + tired kids = someone locks themselves in the bathroom and sobs.

Here, then, is my week by the numbers.

15: Times I yelled, “William, where are you? Answer me!”

38: Essays I graded.

12: People who asked me where I got my batwings.

112: Animal facts William shared with me.

7: Hours sleep I lost from Vivian crawling in with me for morning cuddles.

3.5: Used bandaids I found on the floor.

1: Used bandaid I peeled off the bottom of my foot.

14: Times I asked, “Are you making more work for Mommy or less work?”

2: Status updates I posted about badminton racquets and injured children.

3: Yogurt lids I found on the floor, goopy side down.

3: Times I jumped when the kids’ soccer game was cancelled.

4: Pins I posted on Pinterest, including this one:

22: Times William said, “You love Vivian better.”

22: Times Vivian said, “You don’t love me.”

4: Times I wished I were at a mountain retreat without children.

0: Times I regretted having kids.

How has your week been, by the numbers?

Comments

189: people coming to Tech’s bar mitzvah
    7: trips to DSW to try to find shoes that don’t make me look like a ho-bag.
    7: trips back to DSW to return shoes, so I guess that’s 14 trips total.

My brain is mush.

2: Number of children my wife & I have
    2: Number of children we never thought we’d have–because the doctors said so
    1: God who had something else in mind
    2: Very hard pregnancies
    8: The number of years between kids
    0: How much we would change the preceding

Great post! Love the half-bandaid. (was that the one stuck to your foot?). Look on the bright side: at least, with the yogurt lid goopy side down, you’re not stepping on the yicky side. :D

My Math:
    3: boys
    -1: at college
    +1: back from college, with house somehow seeming more crowded than BEFORE he left
    3.5: squabbles per week over t.v. remote
    4: extra gallons of milk per week with aforesaid college teen back at home
    0: leftovers in fridge (see reason above)
    4: smiles that greet me every day

• says

I like your positive outlook, Kathy. The food situation. I can’t imagine…but I’m going to learn in a few years, I suspect. Plus, my nephew is moving to Calgary in the fall to play university volleyball. We told him he can come over and raid the fridge. Uh Oh…

Number of times I:
    committed to exercise – 6
    exercised – 2
    prepped house for home showings – 5
    received redunkulous offers – 2
    countered offer to impasse – 1
    blog ideas jotted and stored (somewhere) – 9
    completed and published blog – 1
    lassoed angst over finishing ms before solo road trip in July – 99
    had (semi) productive writing days – 5
    had my day grow legs and walk away from me – 2
    wrote novellas masquerading as blog comments – 32
    steamed bathroom floor instead of doing an ‘ugh’ chore – 3
    Thought your post was PRICELESS! Still counting….

3: times my two boys physically got into a fight
    25: times my two boys verbally got into a fight
    1: DS that is “lost” somewhere in the morass of my 13 yo’s bedroom
    2.5: children that have a day off school (one has a half day)
    2: times I’ve not cooked dinner this week and instead have ordered out
    25: peanut butter sandwiches my children have consumed because they’re still hungry (meaning they didn’t like what I cooked at dinner)
    10: computer / electronics privileges revoked for all or part of a day
    6: emails to teachers/counselor/principal regarding my middle schooler
    3: emails received in response from teachers/counselor/principal
    3: TV shows whose seasons have ended leaving me with nothing of value to watch for a very long time (too bad I live in WA — otherwise I could be a hockey fan)
    8 million: times I’ve questioned my sanity
    8 million one: times I’ve looked out the front door for the men with the white coats

• says

Too funny, Paige. I can’t imagine having my own middle schooler. I LOVE the age, but as a teacher I get to send them home at the end of the day. And by the way, you couldn’t see the men with the white coats because they were at my house…

0: Number of hours I actually plan to be productive at work today
    2: Time I am hoping they let us leave
    4: Time they will probably let us leave
    3: Number of boys waiting at home for mom to come home so we can go to a baseball game tonight (this includes the “grown-up” boy).
    3: Number of craft projects I had to get my son to do this week for his end of year teacher present
    1200: Number of times I had to remind him to do the projects.
    7: Time at which he actually finished projects last night, the evening before they were due.
    1: Number of lacrosse games I had to take the boys to.
    1: Number of jersey’s left at home after being in my son’s HAND before we left the house.
    1: Number of trips the au pair had to take to run the jersey up to the field.
    16: Number of weird goth/punk people I have seen walking around my city today (must be some kind of convention).

1 college teenager home + 1 car (only) + 1 (constantly depleting) fridge + 1 wobbly freelance writer income = 14 new gray hairs.

Not new math. Old (and feeling older) math.

1 – Number of writing conferences attended last weekend
    15 – number of us at dinner table with James Rollins last Saturday night
    104 – times I stopped Brenna Smith to thank her for teaching me to network at writing conferences
    0 – number of books I have published
    3 – number I should have published by the end of the year
    57 – number of times my wife interrupts me during a typical TV program
    0 – number of people I think are funnier than you, Leanne

0 – Number of times I read 50 Shades of Grey
    5 – Number of times my kids needed help with algebra and I couldn’t help.
    Infinity – How much I hate math. Unless it’s your post. Then it’s
    100% love.

(But not like you don’t love Vivian. Naturally.)

• says

LOL. I’m actually one of those weirdos who love math. My brother tells me I have the “Mechanics Gene” in our family. Whatever that means. Because when something goes wrong with my car, I just fork over a lot of money.

I did not ask where you got the batwings because we have that same outfit here. My week:
    3 – naps to catch up on loss of sleep over the weekend
    8 – times my husband told me to put my phone away b/c it didn’t feel like a date with me checking my email and Twitter
    21 – times I told my children to go to bed
    1 – times my children went to bed after the first reminder
    2 – pages edited (ugh)
    3 – times I promised myself I’d exercise
    0 – times I exercised
    5 – number of hours I drove home from a fabulous writers’ conference

Only 12 people asked you where you got your bat wings?! How sad. I’ll give you yesterday in numbers:
    8: Hours I spent doing yard work
    0.5: Hours husband spent doing yard work
    27: Number of scratches on my forearms after said yard work
    4: Number of vodka shots I needed to take before the pain in my thighs and resentment of my husband started to fade

4: the light-up-bracelets the girl next to me was wearing at the Coldplay show last thursday (supposed to be 1 for each person).
    0: the light-up-bracelets I had.
    0: the light-up-bracelets she had been willing to spare.
    2: the parts in which my heart broke when she said “i won’t give you any”
    27: the times I’ve told this story.