It’s My Birthday and I’m Giving Things Away

Novica.comFor those who’ve read The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, I am the meaning of life.

For those who haven’t, here’s some math. My husband got me this birthday cake two years ago. It’s a bit moldy now.

~*~*

Cake Sidenote: Yes, I got to slice through my face.

Cake Sidenote: Yes, I got to slice through my face.

Sometime this spring, I plan on changing the look of my blog. In particular, I’m going to self host it, once I figure out what that means.

What I do know is that most of you subscribe to Ironic Mom as WordPress subscribers (not through email or through RSS).

To help this transition (and for some other reasons I’m having trouble articulating since I’m still recovering from an ocular migraine I had Monday night), I’m asking you to subscribe to my newsletter, which I’ll send out approximately once every 23.75 days. (In other words, your inbox won’t get spammed.)

Why subscribe to my newsletter?

• To win prizes, like the one listed below
  • To get extra funny content from me
  • To get special promos
  • To get a chance to help me with anecdotal research for my next humor book
  • To get updates on the funny stuff I’ve written other places
  • It’s free. And has a 100% money-back guarantee

How do you subscribe to my newsletter?

Prizes!

Over the next month, I’m giving away several prizes. The first one, which I’ll draw for on Monday from all those who are subscribed to the newsletter, is a $75 gift certificate to Novica.com, a site affiliated with National Geographic that gives local artisans the chance to put their wares/art in front of a global audience. Your chances of winning are great. I currently have one newsletter subscriber (Thanks, Clay).

I may have just bought these two items from Novica.com as a birthday gift for myself:

Novica Items

Bracelet from Thailand; scarf from Central America

I’ll be giving away more prizes to newsletter subscribers in February. Sign up and help a Canadian, eh?

Comments

1. stuart sheldon says

The whole transition to self-hosted thing is such stress-inducing brain damage. i’m keen to watch you do it in order to learn the way and the path.

Oh the weather outside is frightful,
    But Leanne you are so delightful,
    Ironic Mom wherever you may go,
    I’ll follow, I’ll follow, I’ll follow!

(sung to the tune of Oh Come All Ye Faithful)

Glurg. I also need to make the move to self hosted, and I’m not looking forward to the transition. That said I shall sign up for your newsletter immediately. Because I love you. And because I want to win prizes. And because I want to receive your words more frequently than my menses.

Well this is sad Leanne. I will miss my morning smile & pick me up. I saw an ad on TV for Nick.Mom on TV. I was hoping you get some air play out of that and get discovered for who and what you are…a hilarious Ironic Mom! Good luck!

Happy birthday! Speaking geekily, what you’re saying is your age is the same as the atomic number of molybdenum? :-) (But not the number you get by multiplying six by nine unless there is something fundamentally wrong with the universe).

Self-hosting’s great if you can do it. I managed it with my website (my main website – not my blog). However, the ingredients included an awful lot of geekery, in my case (a) my brother, who is a programmer and coded the site to my bespoke spec; (b) my brother-in- law, who is a programmer. The upshot was that my website was privately hosted on the family server in the attic of my brother-in-law’s house in the Netherlands. I ran the site remotely from New Zealand, including hard-coding the updates myself in HTML (I admit to a small quantity of geek gene…)

It was all pretty cool to do, but the geek horsepower required was rather high. I believe WordPress.org is easier to tackle…haven’t tried it myself yet.

Happy birthday, Leanne! Love that cake – but now how does he top it?

Looking forward to hearing how it goes with the self-hosted transition. I’ve been toying with that idea for ages!