When Grammar Lessons Go Sideways

recite-31217--1769395064-1uan4o1It’s late afternoon. I’m sitting in the living room with my family waiting for bedtime. And dinner. But mostly bedtime.

I am still in school-mode and mention something about grammar and using past tense to my husband, who’s trying to complete the New York Times crossword puzzle in less than twenty-four hours.

Like my husband, my son William ignores my grammar comment; instead, he continues building his Lego armoury.

Vivian, however, looks up from her Lego school. “What’s past tense?” she asks.

I explain using examples. “I eat a banana when I’m hungry,” I say. “But yesterday I…”

Vivian fills in the blank. “Ate a banana.”

I smile and continue with a second example. “Today I drive my car, ” I say. “But yesterday I…”

Drove my car,” she says.

Clearly fearing that I’m going to offer examples until bedtime, Vivian says, “You sound like my teacher.”

It doesn’t sound like a compliment. I look up and catch my husband rolling his eyes in mock annoyance at my teacher-self.

“Do you know what past tense is?” I ask him.

“Yeah,” he says. “I was married. I was happy before I got married.”

Any grammar errors that annoy you?
Do you do crosswords? Sudokus? sarcasm?

Thanks to all of you who signed up for my Ironic Mom newsletter. If you haven’t, there’s still time. SUBSCRIBE TO IRONIC MOM NEWSLETTER. I will draw for the $75 gift card and announce it Monday.

Comments

1. Chrystal says

My biggest pet peeve is people who use “me” when it should be “I” and “I” when it should be “me”. Both are equally annoying!

Examples: Sharon and I went to the store. (not me & Sharon). Peg went to the store with Sharon & me. (not Sharon & I).

And yes, I do all three – I am fluent in sarcasm!

2. rgerryts says

Grammar is just a state of mind that sometimes I attain, and sometimes I can’t quite reach. It’s not important to me, no do I appreciate it when people point out my failed attempts at grammar nirvana. I’m happy we don’t live in a Grammar Police State, and that the Grammar Police are not inside of my head.

3. goodapple says

I am terrified of saying “your welcome” in print … so I usually avoid making the mistake and write “you are very welcome” instead because “you’re welcome” seems wrong.

4. Annie says

“Gots ta”. As in “I gots ta go pee.” I had a friend that used “gots ta” a lot.

Notice my past tense above. And now I’m heading to the bathroom.

5. Aimee says

I’m a wicked word nerd. My recent peeve is when people use “I” as an object pronoun. “Pat and Jim invited my husband and I over for dinner.” WRONG! It should be “my husband and me.” Although one should never use “it sound right” as the litmus test, this one actually works: “Pat and Jim invited me over for dinner.” Correct. So if Pat & Jim included your spouse at dinner, you’re still “me,” the object of the verb “invited.” Maybe it was more fun, maybe it wasn’t. At least someone else did the cooking.

I love Lady Gaga, but I can barely listen to her song “You & I” because she ought to be saying “You & Me,” but she says “you & I” over and over to infinity….

6. mistyslaws says

In writing, yes. Grammar errors bug me. Speaking, though? Not really. I dated a guy in college that was majorly OCD, and it used to kill him when people would use split infinitives. I truly didn’t even know what that WAS until I met him (yes I was an English Major in college . . . what?), so would do it all the time and drive him nuts. Fun times.

I do not do crosswords or any puzzles. I do enjoy some nice sarcasm every now and again. Usually with a nice Chianti.

7. Justin- Writing Pad Dad says

Us TEACHers never stop TEACHing, do we? My poor son has two TEACHers as parents. He can never catch a break from all the TEACHing we feel we need to give him. Geez…
    As you can tell, I can’t relate to this post at all, Leanne!

8. Darryl Haugen says

My son constantly says throwed instead of threw. I find the need to correct him everytime. Is that not what mother’s are for? Sarcasm was implemented into my brain as I came rushing out of the birthing canal. Thanks to mother.

9. Amanda says

There are a lot of grammar mistakes that bug me but I think the worst offender is it’s / its. I saw it written wrong on a billboard once. I don’t remember what the billboard was advertising, but I remember that mistake.
    Sarcasm is my favorite art form.

10. Chase McFadden says

Doesn’t annoy me, but all of our kids went through/are in an “amn’t” stage, as in “Dad, Reed’s hitting me!”/”No I amn’t!” Tax Credit #4 is fully engaged in the amn’t stage now, in fact, and Hellcat still dawdles there once in a while.

You’ve probably heard/seen this before, but it’s funny every time. Comedian Brian Regan talking about some of the rules of grammar:

K-A-T. I’m outta here.

11. Our Life In 3D says

I have found love in Sarcasm puzzles. Right Sheldon? I am guiltied of so many grammar missteps. Your husbands comeback sounded like a Red Skelton line : ‘Yes, I married Miss Right. I just didn’t know her first name was ‘Always’.

12. claywatkins says

I teach middle school andI occasionally see some very interesting conjugations! I laughed very loudly when I readed your husband’s comment! hahahahaha.. you were probably happy, too!

13. julie gardner says

I think it’s funny when people (particularly those who are trying to sound smart!) use the reflexive “myself” to avoid making a mistake with I and Me.

“You can hand your paper to either Mr. Smith or myself.”
    Nope. Not so much.

14. Matthew Wright says

I get bugged by authors who create new compound adverbs by liberally strewing hyphens between perfectly ordinary plain English words that don’t need ‘em. Gives the word ‘tense’ a whole other dimension…

15. mrspietrowski says

I recently posted on facebook that I would like to become a grammer geek. I take it back. It makes me CRAZY when someone says “I seen that”. However after reading the me and I post from Aimee, my head hurts. I barely notice grammer mistakes in print, but when people are talking and break one of the rules that I know it annoy’s me. If you sound un educated to me, chances are you did not graduate from 8th grade…haha.